Body hair is a normal and natural part of human body that develops during and after puberty. The growth of unwanted excessive body hair is known as hirsutism. People experience this hair growth on the body as they mature sexually. These hairs can be kept naturally or can be removed cosmetically. It’s up to different individuals if they want to get further treatment.
Reasons for excessive body hair:-
The main reason for the hair growth are the hormones androgens and testosterone. Though these are referred to as male hormones but these are present in females as well. Several medical conditions may be responsible for the production of too many androgens thus causing excessive growth.
- Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS):-
One of the most common cause of excessive body hair in woman, is Polycystic Ovary Syndrome or PCOS which is a hormonal disorder, that makes the body produce too many androgens thus causing excessive hair growth in women.
- Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia:-
Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia is a disorder affecting the Adrenal gland. There are various side effects of the improper functioning of Adrenal Glands, one of them is excessive hair growth.
Tumours release excess androgens thus leading to excessive hair growth on the body.
Some medicines or drugs like antipsychotic drugs, glucocorticosteroids, anti seizure medicines, immunosuppressive medications, hormone related drugs, etc.
In hyperprolactinemia, a body produces a high level of prolactin hormone which is responsible for producing breast milk and also may lead to infertility. Sometimes it causes hirsutism.
- Thyroid disorders:-
Malfunctioning of the thyroid gland may cause excess hair growth in the body in some cases.
Sometimes growth of excessive body hair may be due to the genes and not a cause of any disorder.
Management of excessive body hair:-
- Changes in diet such as reduction of sugar and carbohydrates intake in females with insulin resistance may be a help.
- Maintaining weight by taking a good diet and doing regular exercise might control many symptoms of PCOS.
- Excessive body hair can be removed by shaving, waxing or using hair removal creams. But the effect of these is temporary.
- Many people opt for surgeries so as to get permanent relief.
- Consulting a doctor and following his prescription is the best and safer way to get rid of this if you are feeling too much discomfort otherwise nothing can be better than liking yourself naturally the way you are. Hirsutism is a major symptom of PCOS, which needs to be addressed to a doctor. Book Gytree’s expert curated packages: